Monday, February 1, 2010

off to India

Much to the dissapointment of the people in Sri Lanka who have now become my family away from home, I am heading to India for three weeks.  After giving me a perplexing look which translates to something like, "Why would you ever want to leave Sri Lanka?" they are usually somewhat appeased when I tell them I will be back.  This trip marks what has started to become a mental "beginning of the end" of my asian adventure.  Once I get back from India, I will have a week and a half in Sri Lanka before I fly back to Canada on the 9th of March. 

As for India, it is kind of an extension of what I have been doing here.  Another chance to see a different culture and observe the role that religion has in the lives of its people.  India is a much more religiously diverse country and the Hindu dominated majority will definitely give me a different experience than Buddhist dominated Sri Lanka.  I will be using the trains extensively to get a pretty diverse cross-section of Indian culture in the Northern part of the country.  I am trying to hit up some of the major religious cities to see what makes its inhabitants tick.  Lots of train time, but hopefully I meet some interesting characters on the long rides!

Hopefully I will find some time at an internet shop somewhere in India to give you a little update of how India is shaping me, but if not, I will hit you with a post in three weeks! 

4 comments:

Mark Petersen said...

Will you be in Kolkata or Chennai? If so look up my friends at Word Made Flesh ... http://www.wordmadeflesh.org

rachel said...

Dave, this is SO exciting! How awesome is it that you get to travel from one place to another and even to reflect on the different cultures. May God bless you in your time in India. Keep posted when you can.
Blessings!

Dan Gabor said...

Miss you lots, bud.

Anonymous said...

Hi, David. This is Linda who you met in India. I seem to have lost your email address. I was going to send you those photos you wanted of the signs along the road. I hope the rest of your trip went well. My address is: ljshelly@sbcglobal.net