Saturday, October 24, 2009

Revisited


I just came back from a wonderful visit to Home of Hope, a children's home in the area. Most of my days were spent playing guitar (I am attempting to teach myself while I am here: I have 6 chords down!), reading, and waiting for the children to get home from school. Then the fun begins. The smallest girls seem oblivious to my obvious deficiency in speaking their language, laughing and giggling at me in Tamil, or Sinhala, I still can't tell the difference. I am slightly worried that, while playing with them in the playground, on the swing sets, they are screaming at me, "Stop pushing me! I am too high! I am scared of heights! I am peeing my pants!" to which I respond with my usual smile-as-big-as-I-can-because-I-don't-have-any-clue-what-you-are-saying and pray that I am not scarring these children for life.

This home's location in rural Sri Lanka afforded me the opportunity to become a little more acquainted with the insect/reptillian/creepy-crawly population of Sri Lanka. I have never really been scared of bugs, however, when I was a wee lad I vividly recall disobeying my parents by watching a TV version of the early 90s thriller, Arachnophobia. One particular scene became forever etched into my psyche and is responsible for my slight distaste for bugs: a legion of spiders had taken over the bathroom of some house, unbeknownst to an unfortunate patron of that bathroom. As he/she (I can't remember) showered, spiders crawled out of pipes in the shower head, toilet, faucets, to prey upon the unsuspecting bather. I thought this was great entertainment. But when I went to shower that night, I was keenly aware of every single hole and hide-away in which some killer arachnid may be waiting in ambush for me. For a week straight, I spun a perpetual 360 as I showered, bearing the sting of soap in my eyes to avoid missing the sign of a sneak spidey-attack. I performed a thorough examination of the toilet before every use, making sure that no poisonous webspinners were clinging to some under-visible underside, waiting to take advantage of my embarassingly vulnerable immobility. Fortunately, this paranoia gradually subsided.

My childhood fears revisited me this week.

Upon entering the bathroom to relieve myself (I seem to write a lot about bodily functions...) I noticed a big 'ole nasty cockroach floating in the bottom of the toilet. Paranoia flooding back, I tried flushing him down, to no avail. So, I proceeded in my initial task, very cautiously and awkwardly, while trying to keep an eye on the overgrown beetle. With the mission accomplished, I triumphantly flushed, making sure that this time, my roach friend slipped down into the watery depths of the sewer. However, as the flushed water flooded down the sides of the toilet, it carried with it another cockroach, who had been clinging to the underside of the toilet rim, knocked from his perch by the rushing water. Inches away from where I had been sitting. Sick. Nasty. I hate cockroaches.

So there you have it - there are some things that scare me... kind of.

6 comments:

Rach! said...

Love the pic...of the Cockroach! Glad to hear that you are learning so much Dave! This is my first comment on ur blog page. Keep serving fully for Him.

Nadine Crain said...

Hahahahaha.
The other day my mom texted me and tole me that my dad was walking down a hallway with his mouth open and a spider got into his mouth... made me think of that exact movie!

That's really funny about the kids you play with. Keep livin' it up Dave!

Mom said...

Hahahahaha!! Your sins will find you out. That's what happens when children choose to disregard their parents' instruction! Sleep well and dream sweet dreams and watch out for the slippery, slimy and slithery snakes that are coming for you next!!!

Krista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krista said...

In Zambia, Gillian and I would jump around our room immediately before bed, clapping at all of the mosquitos, and trying to knock all of the cockroaches off the walls.
It became a hilarious dance-like ritual that I am now fond of.
Perhaps someday you'll feel the same. :)
K

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,
I just wanted to say hi. Thanks for being so open about your thoughts and experiences. I haven't checked your blog for awhile (and I don't have time to read your newer blogs this morning - but I will later!) but I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you and praying for you.

I hope you have a blessed day.
Two thoughts come to mind for you this morning: Nothing can separate you from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord and God will never leave you or forsake you.

Take care,
Tammy