Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Now I know my ABCs

Today was a typical day for me.  I woke up and did some reading and journaling, then enjoyed a curry breakfast at 9 o clock.  By 10 o clock I was ready to leave the house for the day, as per my host's instructions; we ended up leaving at 11:30 - typical of how time flows here in Sri Lanka.  I have learned to always have a book or magazine handy.  We were off to make the rounds visiting some people from the congregation, praying for them, seeing how we can help meet some of their needs.  These visits are usually conducted exclusively in Sinhala, so I usually just pray, or if there are children in the house I try to make funny faces at them, hoping to solicit a smile or two.  Kids don't seem to care that I can't speak their language.  I am learning a lot of these universal languages as I am here. smiling is one language in which I have been able to have beautiful conversations.
 Anyways, one of these smile conversations led this one pretty little girl to show me her "Learning ABC" book.  She opened it up and showed me the "R" for Rabbit, and "D" for Dog and other classic examples that you would expect to find in a book teaching the alphabet to toddlers.  However, there were a couple examples that were sure sign indicators that this book was not published in a country that speaks English as there first language.  This lovely publishing company from Sri Lanka had some interesting words it wanted to teach children for "A" and "Q":










For those of you, who like me, do not even know what "quinine" is:
quinine |ˈkwīˌnīn|
noun
a bitter crystalline compound present in cinchona bark, used as a tonic and formerly as an antimalarial drug. • An alkaloid; chem. formula: C 20 H 24 N 2 O 2.

Definitely a useful word in anyone's vocabulary.
If only I had a book to teach me these these valuable words when I was a toddler.

4 comments:

jerlight said...

I'd like to hear your definition for ass. Thanks for the laugh!!

Nadine Crain said...

Hahahahaha.
I was hoping you would have a picture of the little girl holding the book up. You should put some pictures on your blog of these laughing children! I would like to see them at least.

Carolyn said...

Oh David, how I love your commentary! I love how you tell stories...you should write a book when you are all done this trip! I laughed out loud at the words they want the kids to know for "A" and "Q"...makes me feel better about some of the other 'choice' words that sometimes come out of my mouth :) It could be worse!

Glad to hear you feel like you are settling in more, and how far a smile can go to feel connected to someone. Hopefully it will just get better!

Life here is 'normal' in your end of the world :) Getting our brains around Thanksgiving and watching the leaves falling and hauling out the fall coats and shoes...drat to have to fold socks again :) but we are enjoying the beginning of the fall colours but missing the heat of summer!

Hope all continues to go well for you. We pray you will continue to bless others and be blessed in the process.
Carolyn and Terry

Carolyn said...

OK...seeing it's your birthday tomorrow! Don't know if that's today for you or not...but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You will have to tell us if/how they celebrate birthday's in Sri Lanka! I can't even imagine what some of their customs might be! Praying you have a good day and knowing that there are friends and family back here wishing you a blessed year ahead!